Brooklyn Arts Council is seeking artwork proposals for a mural to be installed in our new DUMBO office. Proposed works should have strong visual impact and should be accessible and appropriate for the general public. Artists are encouraged to create a two dimensional image that fits within the context of the site, creates a visual identity for the organization and is representative of BAC’s mission and values to support and sustain the arts in the diverse borough of Brooklyn. The chosen artwork will be printed on vinyl and installed in BAC’s reception area. Brooklyn-based visual artists and collectives working in two-dimensional media are encouraged to apply. The chosen artist/collective will receive a $500 honorarium. BAC will pay for the printing and installation of the mural.
Brooklyn Arts Council is the borough’s leading nonprofit organization supporting artists and cultural groups in all disciplines. We reach hundreds of thousands of artists and audience members each year through music, dance, film and visual arts programs, web-based directories and communities, arts education, urban folk arts initiatives, grants, training programs and art services. Our office is visited frequently by artists, funders, collectors and arts professionals.
Criteria & Guidelines:
• Artists are encouraged to visit the site prior to applying. The site is in the reception area of the BAC office, 20 Jay Street, Suite 616, and is open 10am-5pm Monday – Thursday and 10am-3pm on Friday
• The chosen artist/collective will be notified by August 5th and will be required to provide to BAC the final digital files in CMYK TIFF format, ready for print production by August 24th.
• Artists must have the capability to complete the project within the allotted time frame.
• Chosen projects will be visible for as long as BAC determines.
• To qualify for this program you MUST be on Brooklyn Arts Council’s Artist Registry. Any artist living or working in Brooklyn can sign up by clicking Join Site; IT’S FREE.
Please complete the online application form(s) by July 15th.
Be prepared to upload your resume, bio, artist statement, contact information and up to 3 files that illustrate your proposal.