Brooklyn Arts Council, a non profit arts organization is seeking a full time Finance Director overseeing the work of finance staff assistants, and is responsible for overseeing the full range of financial management systems including fiscal analysis, budgeting, internal controls, audits and reports. The Finance Director is a key member of the executive team and will operate under the supervision of the Executive Director. S/he also works closely with the Board Treasurer, auditors and other members of the Finance Committee as necessary.
• Continually analyze and evaluate internal financial systems, and establish and oversee implementation by the finance staff assistant of long-and short-term plans, policies, procedures and controls to ensure an effective, efficient and stable financial infrastructure.
• Oversee the development and management of the annual operating budgets in collaboration with the Executive Director; and facilitate the budgeting process, including working closely with program managers and making recommendations to Executive Director. Develop long-range, capital and other special budgets as required.
• Oversee and direct review of all bookkeeping and day-to-day accounting work for the organization performed by the finance staff assistants, including review of the processing and class coding of bills, checks payments, deposits and credit card transactions.
• Oversee and direct review of all accounting and finance activities to ensure the fiscal integrity and accuracy of annual audits, tax reports and other required filings.
• Oversee and direct all human resource needs including all aspects of payroll, time tracking, analyze and continually evaluate hiring practices, staff review tracking, maintenance of all personnel files and management of all employee benefit programs
• Review income and expenses by program, including direct and allocated expenses, to monitor compliance with restricted funding sources; generate program reporting as required by funders; review of functional allocation of expenses booked by the finance staff assistant.
• Support grants proposals, maintenance and reporting processes with development department.
• Coordinate and oversee the production and presentation of financial reports as required.
• Coordinate and oversee the work of external auditors.
• Participate on the committees of the Board of Directors related to finance and audit.
• Provide for regular and detailed reporting for individual programs as well as monthly tracking and reporting actual versus budget.
• Work closely with the Executive Director to maintain the organization’s fiscal health by providing monthly Income & Expense reports and cash flow projections.
• Oversee the maintenance and preparation by the Finance staff assistant of records for payroll services, taxes, development reports and audits.
• Support and ongoing training of finance staff assistant.
• Oversee maintenance of the general ledger, including schedules of all balance sheet accounts including preparation of bank reconciliations.
• A minimum of ten years experience in finance, accounting or a related field, including at least five years management experience in finance in a non-profit context. Understanding of nonprofit management and governance preferred.
Expertise in financial analysis and activity, accounting, budget development, control and reporting, and internal controls required. Experience in management of investment income required.
• Proven track record in the development of complex non profit organizational budgets.
• Extensive recent experience in QuickBooks and proficiency with MS Office, Excel, etc. is required.
• An ability to communicate financial systems in ways comprehensible to people outside the finance field.
• Strong organizational skills, management skills, communication skills and attention to detail.
• B.A. or B.S. Degree in Accounting, Business or related field required. C.P.A., Masters Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is a strong plus.
• A sense of humor, energy for challenges, ability to meet deadlines and multi task.
START DATE: Immediate.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, and vision coverage.
SUBMISSIONS: Cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 references, and salary history. No calls or faxes.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until filled. PLEASE SEND APPLICATIONS TO: firstname.lastname@example.org Put “Finance Director” in subject line.
BAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of New York, the constituencies and neighborhoods BAC serves.