Brooklyn Arts Council seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic individual to assist BAC’s External Affairs team with outward-facing productions and communications. The External Affairs Assistant will work collaboratively to increase awareness and support for the arts in Brooklyn. This is an excellent opportunity for an emerging arts administrator to play an integral role in developing BAC’s audience and partnerships and to be a part of a close-knit team of creative and talented arts leaders who are dedicated to nurturing and sustaining Brooklyn’s cultural sector.
• Coordinate direct mail including BAC’s E-News and News & Opportunities mailings and assist with individual Departmental newsletters and website updates;
• Assist with online community management (Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo);
• Research prospective marketing outreach partners; assist with marketing outreach;
• Assist with collateral mailings.
• Research prospective in-kind sponsorship and co-venture/co-branding opportunities; conduct outreach for in-kind donations;
• Provide administrative support for liasing with governmental offices and corporate partners;
• Draft solicitations and e-blasts;
• Assist with development mailings including acknowledgements and thank you letters;
• Participate in creating and distributing the annual appeal;
• Assist with donor database entry and reporting;
• Assist in maintaining department records and archives;
• Produce meeting notes and wrap-up communications as needed.
• Assist with planning and producing BAC fundraising events including exhibitions, cultivation events, and our annual gala fundraiser;
• Other tasks as necessary.
• Submit listing information for events and programs;
• Archive media coverage and visual documentation of BAC’s events and programs.
Interested candidates should have 1-3 years of professional experience with an interest and background in nonprofit arts administration, arts journalism, corporate communications, public relations, or event management.
Candidates must be detail-oriented, thorough, dedicated, and creative. The individual must have superior writing and interpersonal skills, must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word and Excel. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite is desired and/or a willingness and aptitude to learn; design experience a plus (specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop). Knowledge of HTML, XHTML, CSS, and Flash, and/or the ability to learn is highly desirable as well. The candidate must be professional and self-confident in order to serve as a public voice for the organization. Humor, a love for the arts, and the ability to tell a good story is essential.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. The External Affairs Assistant will serve regular office hours 3-4 days per week in addition to occasional evenings and weekends for special events. This position is part-time and will be compensated on an hourly basis.
Please send a cover letter, CV or resume, one (1) writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Please include “External Affairs Assistant” and your full name in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application promptly. Applications accepted until position is filled.
BAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of New York and the constituencies and neighborhoods BAC serves.
About Brooklyn Arts Council
Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC) supports and connects Brooklyn's arts community through programs and services for artists, cultural organizations, and residents of all backgrounds and ages. Brooklyn's cultural anchor since 1966, BAC has also been the catalyst helping the arts community grow. We give grants, present arts events, train artists, teach kids, incubate new projects and promote the arts across Brooklyn.