Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC), a 51-year-old non-profit cultural organization, seeks a permanent full-time Director of Development and External Affairs (DDEA). Reporting to the Executive Director, the DDEA will lead development and external communications initiatives with primary responsibility for securing major and multi-year support for organizational operating needs, supervising special events, and managing marketing and communications. The DDEA will work closely with the Executive Director in strategic planning, board development, partnerships, and fundraising. The DDEA will supervise the communications and fundraising team, including a full time grant writer and communications deputy, and a part time department assistant.
The ideal candidate will have at least ten years of experience in a similar capacity, an excellent reputation with donors in the cultural sphere, a proven track record of meeting goals and expanding support, strong management and communication skills, attention to detail, knowledge of and passion for the arts and BAC’s mission.
• Develops and implements annual fundraising plan; creates and implements plans to diversify and expand BAC’s donor base
• Works with Executive Director and Board in Board development
• Participates in Development Committee of the Board of Directors
• Oversees external communications plan, and the development and implementation of all marketing and communications including web, social, print, and advertising
• Develops and implements fundraising events, working with department staff and board/volunteer committees
• Manages all fundraising stewardship and reporting including:
• application and reporting for government contracts and discretionary funding from elected officials
• Supervises general development office administration, including maintenance of donor records and development calendar; grant proposals, reports, and acknowledgements
• Supervises research in and cultivates new institutional and individual giving prospects
• Supervises fulfillment of donor benefits and recognition
• Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree in related fields preferred
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in fundraising, marketing, or related experience with at least 5 years of managerial responsibilities
• Demonstrated success with fundraising via institutional giving, events, and individual donors
• Leadership in institutional strategy
• Strong knowledge of NYC philanthropic and cultural communities
• Excellent writing and interpersonal skills required
• Proficiency using Microsoft Office and other management tools, databases, and a variety of social media tools
• Facility with budgets
Salary and Benefits
The Director of Development and External Affairs is a salaried exempt position. Salary commensurate with experience; health plan and other benefits included.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications for this position, salary expectation, two writing samples and three references to: email@example.com. Please include “Director of Development” and your full name in the subject line. No calls please.
BAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and strives to build a staff and board that reflect the cultural diversity of New York, the constituencies and neighborhoods BAC serves.
About Brooklyn Arts Council
Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC) supports and connects Brooklyn's arts community through programs and services for artists, cultural organizations, and residents of all backgrounds and ages. Brooklyn's cultural anchor since 1966, BAC has also been the catalyst helping the arts community grow. We give grants, present arts events, train artists, teach kids, incubate new projects and promote the arts across Brooklyn.