Posted on:October 10, 2012
BROOKLYN BALLET seeks an Executive Director to lead the organization into its next phase of institutional and programmatic growth. A perfect opportunity for an enthusiastic, motivated and entrepreneurial not-for-profit manager, who is interested in ballet, dance education and community engagement.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record in fundraising, innovative marketing and donor stewardship. This is an exciting new role for a leader who can work independently building important external relationships for Brooklyn Ballet, while also helping to lead operations with a talented and dedicated team. The Executive Director will work with Founding Artistic Director Lynn Parkerson, support staff and board members.
The Executive Director’s primary goal is to expand the organization’s visibility and develop a strong financial base from which to grow.
- -Energetically fund raise for the organization. Develop new donor relationships, generate new forms of outreach and build an extended family of supporters for Brooklyn Ballet.
- -Create and implement marketing and communications for Brooklyn Ballet, in order to elevate awareness of the organization.
- -Identify and recruit new board members
- -Produce creative work of Founding Artistic Director Lynn Parkerson.
- -Operationalize the strategic plan and oversee the long-term development of Brooklyn Ballet.
- -Represent BROOKLYN BALLET in Professional Development Programs of the Devos Institute of Arts Management at the Kennedy Center made possible by the generosity of the Bloomberg Philanthropies Arts Advancement Initiative.
- Minimum 6-8 years experience, demonstrating successful outcomes in fundraising and managemnt in the performing arts.
- -Proven track record in fund raising ($100,000 - $500,000 per year) – success in raising money through individuals, corporations and grants. Strong networks in Brooklyn a plus.
- -Excellent oral and written communication skills, proactive communicator. Passion for building and nurturing relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- -Excellent organizational, administrative and computer skills. Social media experience desired.
- -Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- -Passion for and/or work experience in the area of ballet and education. Enormous supply of energy and imagination
- -Comfort with budgeting process and finance fundamentals. Spanish language skills a plus.
- -Degree: College required, Masters preferred
About BROOKLYN BALLET
Brooklyn Ballet is a professional, not-for-profit dance company dedicated to artistic excellence, education and serving Brooklyn’s diverse communities. The company was founded in February 2002 by Artistic Director Lynn Parkerson, the first of its kind in Brooklyn in more than 40 years. Brooklyn Ballet brings a contemporary vision to the treasured art form of ballet, with repertory and programs that revitalize and re-imagine the classical form. The Ballet presents an annual performance season in Brooklyn and serves the community through educational outreach projects—specifically, Take Ballet to the Streets, an outdoor performance series, Elevate and Brooklyn Ballet in the Houses, in-school dance residencies—as well as through its professional dance school located in Downtown Brooklyn.Brooklyn Ballet produced three highly successful seasons at Fort Greene's Kumble Theater and in October 2006 the Company performed in four cities in Mexico by invitation of the Cultural Consulate of Chiapas. The Company unveiled the new multi-use performance venue in The Schermerhorn with its First Look series in May 2010 and debuted "From Baroque to Hip Hop" in March 2011 followed by “Revolutionaries and Romantics” in March 2012.
Brooklyn Ballet School is a classical ballet conservatory and a community dance center. Our mission is to provide all Brooklyn’s talented youth access to quality ballet training and to offer open-level dance classes to students of all ages and backgrounds. Located in Downtown Brooklyn at 160 Schermerhorn Street, our new state-of-the-art facility includes a beautiful column-free dance studio with a wood sprung dance floor and a multi-use performance space for student showcases and professional concerts. Our world-class faculty consists of highly trained and experienced dance teachers who provide a positive and nurturing experience for every dance student. From conservatory ballet to jazz, hip-hop and early childhood movement, Brooklyn Ballet School is where Brooklyn comes to dance.
Brooklyn Ballet’s dedication to the community is wide-ranging. The Company continues to create and perform new repertory bringing Brooklyn audiences the artistic excellence they’ve come to expect. And through our Education and Community programs, Brooklyn Ballet creates opportunities for new audiences to experience an aspect of culture which they may otherwise never have had access to.
For additional information on BROOKLYN BALLET’s programs, see www.brooklynballet.org.
Timing: start January 2013
Qualified candidates should send cover letter and resume to: